Correctional Officer (Low/Med Security)
Company: Indiana Department of Correction
Posted on: May 24, 2023
*Work for Indiana*
Grow your career with the State of Indiana! With more than 50 executive branch agencies, the State of Indiana is a diverse workforce offering employees stimulating and challenging projects across a broad scope of career opportunities. As a State of Indiana employee, you impact the well-being of Indiana's communities every day.
At the State of Indiana, we don't just talk about diversity and inclusion - Our goal is to create a welcoming, accessible, and equitable workplace, with a workforce that is representative of the State of Indiana population. As a proud equal opportunity employer, reasonable accommodations may be available to enable individuals with disabilities to interview and to perform the essential functions of a role.
*Next Level benefits at the State of Indiana are here! Be sure to review our expanded benefit package offerings below.*
*About the Correctional Industrial Facility:*
The Correctional Industrial Facility (CIF) is a medium security facility located on 89 acres in Pendleton, IN, and was established in 1985. Currently, CIF houses over 1,400 male offenders, and the facility offers many opportunities to its offender population. This includes the opportunity to work, obtain their High School Equivalent, and be involved in facility-led programs. One specific program, PLUS (Purposeful Living Units Serve), is a faith- and character-based program aimed at helping offenders avoid criminal behavior by teaching them to demonstrate the following core values: honesty, integrity, respect, responsibility, compassion, and tolerance. CIF also has 4 different programs for our offenders that deal with animals, including ICAN (Indiana Canine Assistance Network), a facility apprenticeship program that allows inmates to train dogs to become service animals to assist the disabled.
This positions averages around $50,693.50 per year.
*About the Job:*
As a Correctional Officer, you will work on an assigned shift in a specific unit/or post under the general supervision of a Correctional Sergeant. In this role, you will maintain the security of the unit as well as the safety of staff and offenders while ensuring daily activities and programs proceed on schedule.
*A Day in the Life:*
* Remains alert for signs of disorder or tension
* Patrols assigned areas at various intervals for the security of offenders, count of offenders, and security of buildings and grounds
* Follows or ensures compliance with established security procedures
* Tower duty which includes the possession and possible use of firearms
* Maintains lock control at specific posts
* Supervises offenders in various work details including general clean-up of institutional grounds and buildings
* Supervises offenders during shower and bath periods
* Escorts offenders to and from the visiting room and dining room and on various trips away from the institution
* Counsels with offenders when necessary, discussing offender's problems in an informal and unofficial capacity
* Keeps records and makes reports on such matters as inmate movements and progress and offender's violation of rules
* Works in shake-downs of cell blocks and/or dormitories, searching for possible contraband
* Searches vehicles entering and leaving the gates for contraband and trafficking offenses
* Searches visitors and all packages for contraband
* Encourages offenders to accept professional assistance from staff
*What You'll Need for Success:*
* Possession of a valid Driver's License.
* Possession of a high school diploma or High School Equivalency (HSE).
* One (1) year of work experience and/or prior Military experience.
* Must test negative on all drug screenings.
* Working knowledge of, and familiarization with, appropriate agency rules and regulations;
* Ability to supervise effectively and obtain results from offenders who may not want to work motivated.
* Some knowledge of psychology, sociology, alcoholism, drug addiction, and criminology.
* Ability to defend oneself physically.
* Ability to operate cell house range and/or dormitory controls.
* Ability to prepare reports of unusual happenings, accidents, or violations of rules.
* Alertness and ability to act quickly and effectively in an emergency.
* Ability to keep abreast of progress and study in the field of corrections.
* Ability to understand and utilize firearms properly.
* Willingness to participate in training programs as required by the Department of Correction.
* Willingness to undergo a background investigation.
*Benefits of Employment with the State of Indiana:*
* Three (3) medical plan options (including RX coverage) as well as vision and dental plans;
* Wellness program (offers a premium discount for the medical plan and gift cards);
* Health savings account, which includes bi-weekly state contribution;
* Deferred compensation 457B account (similar to 401k plan) with employer match;
* Two (2) fully-funded pension plan options;
* A robust, comprehensive program of leave policies covering a variety of employee needs, including but not limited to:
* 150 hours of paid new parent leave;
* Up to 15 hours of paid community service leave;
* Combined 180 hours of paid vacation, personal, and sick leave time off;
* 12 paid holidays, 14 on election years;
* Education Reimbursement Program of up to $5,250.00;
* Group life insurance;
* Referral Bonus program;
* Employee assistance program that allows for covered behavioral health visits;
* Qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program;
* Free Parking for most positions;
* Free LinkedIn Learning access;
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $22.00 per hour
* 401(k) matching
* Dental insurance
* Employee assistance program
* Employee discount
* Flexible spending account
* Health insurance
* Health savings account
* Life insurance
* Paid time off
* Parental leave
* Professional development assistance
* Referral program
* Retirement plan
* Tuition reimbursement
* Vision insurance
* 12 hour shift
* Day shift
* Night shift
* High school or equivalent (Required)
* Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: In person
*Work for Indiana*
Keywords: Indiana Department of Correction, Fishers , Correctional Officer (Low/Med Security), Other , Pendleton, Indiana
here to apply!